Topic: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Replies: 33   Last Post: Jul 19, 2013 10:22 PM

magidin@math.berkeley.edu

Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:08:58 PM UTC-5, Victor Porton wrote:

> > I think you misunderstand the purpose of the Abel prize. The Abel prize
>
> > is not intended to motivate and assist the winner in pursuing future
>
> > mathematical research, but rather it is intended to recognize already
>
> > existing mathematical achievement. The reasons you give argue for being
>
> > awarded a research grant or something like the MacArthur Fellows Program
>
> > (for U.S. citizens and U.S. residents only).
>

> I don't misunderstand the purpose of the Abel Prize. I just note that
>
> despite of having this purpose it can help other purposes too.
>

> It seems for me like that the research I've already accomplished may be
>
> probably enough to get the prize, but there are also directions for future
>
> research.

One is seldom impartial in judging the merit of one's own work.

> I've sent my proposal to the topology section of Israel Mathematical Union
>
> annual meeting and was not accepted because nobody recommends me.

Or perhaps because you could not communicate effectively? I mean, if the writing I've seen from you so far is any indication, I would not accept a submission for a special session from you either, just on the basis of "huh? if this person speaks like (s)he writes, that's a wasted slot."

Look, this is pointless. Not only is the opinion of the denizens of sci.math essentially irrelevant (yes, I include myself) for things much, much lower than the Abel prize (I doubt my un-asked-for opinion would get you into a Special Session anywhere, for example, let alone award you a prize), but your reasons for claiming that you deserve the prize are at best spurious (argumentum ad misericordiam, a personal and unsubstantiated evaluation of the **likely** quality and impact of the work according to your own lights). The more you argue here, the more you prove that you lack a clue.

--
Arturo Magidin

Date Subject Author
7/15/13
Read Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Balhtam nominates you for the fake Nobel in funconomics
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/16/13
Read Re: Balhtam nominates you for the fake Nobel in funconomics
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/18/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
grei
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Dave L. Renfro
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Dave L. Renfro
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/17/13
Read please don't nominate me for TetrahedronometrY; thank YoU
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Jens Stuckelberger
7/18/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Peter Percival
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
FredJeffries@gmail.com
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
fom
7/19/13