Topic: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Replies: 73   Last Post: Jul 26, 2013 6:27 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing

Exactly, Bob. And this often raises its ugly
head in other disciplines as well "the students
will be bored with more…" when only the teachers
can be bored if the question is familiarity with
the topic/presentation/classic books/whatever
because the students have never seen/heard
it/them before. My concern for the entire
process of teaching and learning mathematics
starts in K or 1 and K-5 or K-6 lays a critical
preparation for middle school that you can domino
your way all the way to the University. Far too
often, modern kids are bored because they are
used to TV/minutely choppy/text messaging kind of
life. Some are (as I was) bored to tears because
I should've been allowed to go ahead
independently but when teachers see the stunning
annual objective external assessments (assuming
we don't Smarter and Balanced ourselves out of
that critical information!) they at least realize
there must be some there there. The flaky kids
above don't and it's not clear if anything can
change that (always statistically speaking, of course).

Wayne

At 11:04 AM 7/17/2013, Robert Hansen wrote:

>On Jul 17, 2013, at 1:40 PM, Joe Niederberger
><niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >> You mean that 50 year old men are used to.
> That's quite a bit different than what 10 year olds are used to it.
> >
> > Are we focusing on 10 year olds specifically here? I missed that.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Joe N

>Specifically, no, I suppose he means 5 year olds as well.:)
>
>http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9168918
>
>He feels cheated because cubes get first billing which occurs quite early.
>
>In any event, that is my only objection. As
>usual, Kirby and I differ on the notion of development[1].
>

>Bob Hansen
>
>[1] development: the layering of a subject's
>topics, concepts, skills and exercises over time in a human being

Date Subject Author
7/13/13
Read Common Core snippet a little distressing
Peter Duveen
7/13/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/13/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
[...]
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/15/13
Read Re: [Math 2.0] Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Christian Baune
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
CCSSIMath
7/16/13
[...]
7/18/13
[...]
7/20/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/20/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/21/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/23/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/26/13