Topic: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Replies: 73   Last Post: Jul 26, 2013 6:27 PM

kirby urner

Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
att1.html (4.3 K)

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> >We send mixed messages when we encourage "constructing one's own reality"
> in the sense of being willing to question age-old assumptions, and then
> level a charge of "ego-mania" if anyone actually follows this advise too
> avidly.
>
> I would say "question Authority", and "but accept it when its right"
> (which certainly isn't always.) I know little about "construct one's own
> reality", though I've heard the meme for sure, and certainly see people who
> fit the description. I'm more interested in shared reality.

What's entertaining is Fuller went up against something we're all very
"right" about: namely rectilinearity itself. The words "normal" and
"right" have this *mathematical* shared meaning, yet one might swear these
were "moral" terms (regarding ones "rectitude"). Even "orthogonal" and
"orthodox" go together. Bob calls these my "etymologies".

Just saying, of all the windmills to tilt at... to take aim at our very
notion of "rightness".... he seems the very definition of "The Crooked Man"
(a great title-in-waiting).

The defense is psychological: anyone who'd question the rightness of
rightness has gotta have some serious mental problems. Now lets stop
questioning the stability of the cube and get back to serious engineering.

> The charge of inflated ego for Bucky I think is accurate, but its just my
> very limited perception on that matter. I don't have much patience for the
> "everything you know (or been taught) is wrong!" school of marketing.

Talking about the size of someone's ego is fun party conversation but
should not be at the expense of deriving whatever value from the
contribution, which should be assessed independently.

When it comes to judging the worth of sharing hitherto overlooked whole
number volume ratios among polyhedrons, with sizing relationships
established through sphere packing and some new uses of the tetrahedron,
I'm not about to let someones "ego size" be my guiding criterion.

All this chatter about Bucky's ego size is what I call the "Bucky as
Britney" syndrome, i.e. a wish to partake in the surrounding gossip -- a
way of getting a vicarious piece of the action maybe?

As Britney puts it:

I'm Mrs. Oh my God that Britney's Shameless
(You want a piece of me)
I'm Mrs. Extra! Extra! this just in
(You want a piece of me)
I'm Mrs. she's too big now she's too thin

Lets compromise and agree Bucky had *some* right to *some* size of ego,
what with the 47 honorary degrees, cover of Time, Medal of Freedom.... lots
of admirers.**

Not everyone at the trailer park can boast such a c.v.

I mean c'mon, wouldn't you have a bit of a spring in your step? He could
have gone a lot further towards creating a cult or organized religion than
he did, with all those advantages.

Kirby

** http://www.anb.org/articles/13/13-02560.html

or there's the bio I wrote:

http://www.grunch.net/synergetics/bio.html

(I'm respectful but I don't think over the top; I have high regard for
Wittgenstein also, as we know)

> Cheers,
> Joe N
> Joe N

Date Subject Author
7/13/13
Read Common Core snippet a little distressing
Peter Duveen
7/13/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/13/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
[...]
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/15/13
Read Re: [Math 2.0] Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Christian Baune
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
CCSSIMath
7/16/13
[...]
7/18/13
[...]
7/20/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/20/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/21/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/23/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/26/13