Topic: can someone point me to the proof that
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jul 24, 2013 10:39 AM

Bart Goddard

Re: can someone point me to the proof that

lax.clarke@gmail.com wrote in news:f6288bc3-b3b4-45bb-9425-2a70f2cea066

> no two polynomials are the same function over finite fields

I think you mean _infinite_ fields. In which case you can
use functional methods. If the two polynomials give the
same function, then plug 0 in for X to see that their constant
terms are the same. Then take (formal) derivatives and plug
in 0 again to see that the first-order coefficients are the
same, etc.