Topic: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Replies: 73   Last Post: Jul 26, 2013 6:27 PM

kirby urner

Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
att1.html (2.6 K)

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> Kirby says:
> >I mean c'mon, wouldn't you have a bit of a spring in your step? He could
> have gone a lot further towards creating a cult or organized religion than
> he did, with all those advantages.
>
> Yes, of course you are right. I didn't mean to make a fuss, it was a
> sidewise way of expressing a bit of dismay over the type of promotion that
> starts -- "everything you know is wrong!".
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

I tend to agree, that kind of hype gets to be too much.

It can be thrilling, for an interval, to feel suddenly disabused of
misinformation, as when shocked from a "lone gunman" narrative, to seeing
"Oswald did it" as part of a cover story (it's the 50th anniversary this
year, so apropos).

The new beliefs don't even have to be right, for the thrill to be there, of
feeling ushered into a new sensibility.

Some call it being "reborn" (OK, I admit to playing off your earlier
mentioning the "bible").

What I do think religion and mathematics have in common is the potential to
seize and shake the imagination, thereby reshaping it.

One may have mathematical revelations, as many have chronicled. Some
attribute their deep insights to transcendental sources (Ramanujan for
example -- Hardy tsk tsked the lack of accompanying proofs).

"Everything you know is wrong" can be part of that "either / or" trap which
so many fall into, as if "both / and" could never be an option.

How could there be more than one way of doing it? How could there not be?

Why do we act so surprised sometimes, when coming upon another way of
thinking, with its own logic?

We get tricked by "either / or", thinking one of us *has* to be wrong -- in
itself a wrong belief in so many contexts.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
7/13/13
Read Common Core snippet a little distressing
Peter Duveen
7/13/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/13/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
[...]
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/15/13
Read Re: [Math 2.0] Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Christian Baune
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
CCSSIMath
7/16/13
[...]
7/18/13
[...]
7/20/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/20/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/21/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/23/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/26/13