Topic: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jul 27, 2013 12:38 PM

apoorv

Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols

On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:22:46 AM UTC+5:30, fom wrote:
> On 7/22/2013 3:33 PM, apoorv wrote:

> >> If I am reading your notation correctly,
>

> >> g(x)= Goedel number of 'x'
>

> >> Actually, your notation confuses me (due
>

> >> to relative lack of recent experience).
>

> >> To stipulate something along the lines
>

> >> of
>

> >> g(1)=godel number of f(1,w)
>

> >> g(2)=godel number of f(2,w)
>

> >> g(3)=godel number of f(3,w) etc
>

> >> would seem to be
>

> >> g(1)= g(f(1,w))
>

> >> g(2)= g(f(2,w))
>

> >> g(3)= g(f(3,w))
>

> >> which would seem to violate the idea that
>

> >> the Goedel numbering corresponds with a
>

> >> unique naming of symbols.
>

> >> Now, if your countable language is indexed
>

> >> by the natural numbers and the argument to
>

> >> 'g' is the index of the given formula, then
>

> >> the numerals on the left have no relation
>

> >> to the numerals on the right. In that case,
>

> >> the correspondence of your listing would have
>

> >> to be thought as accidental.
>

> Did I miss a reply somewhere?

I would like to clarify this with reference to the formula sub(x,x,y) ,which is central to the fixed point lemma.
Suppose we have some coding for formulas with one free variable u .
We let
1 equal Code of formula u= 1^2,
3 equal code of formula u=2^2
5equal code of formula u =3^2
Etc
So we generalise and say,
2x-1 is the code the formula u=x^2
Or x is the code of formula 4u=(2x-1)^2 , where the brackets are for ease of writing.
Now sub (x,x,y) says
y is the code of formula obtained if we substitute x for the free variable in the formula whose code is x.
Or
y is the code of the formula 4x =(2x-1)^2
Now the important thing is that
sub(x,x,y) is a formula in which x is not free
And therefore, if k is the code of sub(x,x,y), then

Sub(K,k,y) is not the result of substituting k for the free variable x in sub (x,x,y).
Alternately ,if we regard sub(x,x,y) as a convenient shorthand , but not a generalisation of the
Many formulae
sub(1,1,y),
sub(2,,2,y)Etc
Then sub(x,x,y) really i will have a code which is not a number but a function of x.
I may appear to be thoroughly confused but my own thinking has not helped me to
Dispel the confusion.
-Apoorv

Date Subject Author
7/10/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Aatu Koskensilta
7/10/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
David C. Ullrich
7/10/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Sandy
7/10/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/12/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/15/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/16/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/19/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/19/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/20/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/20/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Peter Percival
7/20/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/21/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/21/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/21/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/22/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/22/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/23/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/23/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/24/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
apoorv
7/27/13