Topic: can someone point me to the proof that
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jul 24, 2013 10:39 AM

Bart Goddard

Re: can someone point me to the proof that

dullrich@sprynet.com wrote in news:ppiqu8d1micop548h956stpcfgoopcufjv@
4ax.com:

> Looking at the difference of our two polynomials,
> say p(t) = 0 for all t in our infinite field. So p
> has zero constant term (hence p(t) = t q(t) for
> some polynomial t and we're done, hence the
> "not that it matters" above). How does
> it follow that p'(t) = 0?

If the two polynomials are f(X) and g(X), then let
F(X,Y) = (f(X)-f(Y))/(X-Y) and G(X,Y)= (g(X)-g(Y))/(X-Y).

Since f and g are equal for all values of X, so are F and G
for all values of X and Y. Since f'(X) = F(X,X) and
g'(X)=G(X,X), it follows that f'=g'. I think we can make
this work in non-commutative rings too. But certainly
it works over integral domains.

B.