Replies: 42   Last Post: Jul 25, 2013 6:09 PM

Nasser Abbasi

On 7/24/2013 12:21 AM, Albert Rich wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:32:20 PM UTC-10, da...@axiom-developer.org wrote:
>

>> We differ on some results because Rubi (or whatever program you are using
>> to create the optimal results) assumes that square roots have only a single
>> positive value. Axiom does not want to make this simplification so given
>> sqrt(3)*sqrt(7)*sqrt(21) - 21
>> Axiom will not simplify this to zero but the Rubi test suite does.

> Surly there must be a way to tell Axiom to choose the principal
> branch so sqrt(4)-2 will simplify to zero?
>
> Albert

I remember reading that some math people, 100 or 200 years ago,
decided that sqrt (of non-negative, non-complex values) was single valued
function and its value is the non-negative root (ie. principal
square root).

Does any one have a reference if this is true and when this
change was decided on? Or may be it always was like this?

I looked at wiki now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_root
and do not spot a date on this.

--Nasser

Date Subject Author
daly@axiom-developer.org
Albert D. Rich
daly@axiom-developer.org
Albert D. Rich
Nasser Abbasi
daly@axiom-developer.org
Nasser Abbasi
daly@axiom-developer.org
Albert D. Rich
daly@axiom-developer.org
Albert D. Rich
daly@axiom-developer.org
daly@axiom-developer.org
Nasser Abbasi
Albert D. Rich
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de
Waldek Hebisch
clicliclic@freenet.de
daly@axiom-developer.org
Albert D. Rich
daly@axiom-developer.org
Albert D. Rich
daly@axiom-developer.org
Albert D. Rich
daly@axiom-developer.org
Nasser Abbasi
daly@axiom-developer.org
Waldek Hebisch
clicliclic@freenet.de
Nasser Abbasi
daly@axiom-developer.org
daly@axiom-developer.org
Albert D. Rich
7/14/13
Read DLMF not machine readable? (was .. An independent integration test
suite)
Richard Fateman
7/14/13
Read Re: DLMF not machine readable? (was .. An independent integration
test suite)
daly@axiom-developer.org