Topic: OT How is 'Baez' pronounced?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jul 28, 2013 9:45 PM

Tom Potter

Re: OT How is 'Baez' pronounced?

"Peter Percival" <peterxpercival@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How is 'Baez' (as in John and Joan) pronounced?

Are you inquiring about the John Baez

that feuded with Sarfatti
and created the infamous "Crackpot Index"?

In the early days, the science groups on CompuServe, FidoNet, Genie,
The Source, Delphi, Prodigy, AOL, etc. experts and beginners alike
interacted in a rational, intelligent, civilized, moral way

but the conflict between Sarfatti and Baez
fragmented sci.physics and science forums
into free thinkers and status quo defenders,

and turned sci.physics into a "River of Shit".

The following 1994 post by Sarfatti
provides the root cause of the feud.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics/msg/5e708010503c494a

Newsgroups: sci.physics
From: ***@netcom.com (Jack Sarfatti)
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 00:53:34 GMT

Subject: John Baez tells lies.

Some one just sent me a "net.legend.FAQ" about me written
by John Baez. It is totally fraudulent.

For example, Baez claims I tell a story that Murray Gell-Mann
finds my ideas interesting. I never told such a story. I never
spent time with Gell-Mann. I did spend time with Feynman on
several occassions in 1963 and 1967 and Feynman did send me
a funny letter to "The Great Sarfatti" to me at UCSD in 1967.
He did drive around with me in my Jaguar convertible in 1963.
But I never even spoke to Gell-Mann and never said I did.

Baez wrote:

Used to tell people
Murray Gell-Mann found his ideas interesting; someone finally checked
with
Gell-Mann - and found the complete quote was "Your ideas are
interesting, but
[looking at watch] I'm late for an appointment." Posts from ....

Also Baez falsely says I wrote letters of complaint to academic
superiors of at least one other person other than him. This is
a lie - the only letter of complaint I did write was to John Baez's
Department Chairman and Academic Dean at UCR (where I got my Ph.D.
with Fred Cummings in 1969). John and his graduate student, David
Dixon, who has a history of terrorizing females on campus, have
been spreading lies about me for over a year on the internet for
over a year which is why I did complain to his Dean. This is not
professional behavior for a promising professor without tenure
and I wish he would stop it. My personal displeasure over his
distortions of my ideas etc will not stop me from reading his
book on Knots and Physics - but I hope his writng there is more
accurate than his lies about me.

What is this net.legend.FAQ which seems to be a repository of
false information? "

End of 1994 Sarfatti post.

I suspect Baez was jealous of Sarfatti
because he was articulate, handsome,
had lots of girl friends,
and hung out with "beautiful people."

The Baez/Sarfatti feud was the butterfly effect
[ "Hornet effect" might be a better term.]

that affects sci.physics and science forums
to the present day.

"All the King's horses.."

--
Tom Potter