Topic: Maximisation problem
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jul 27, 2013 6:16 AM

Paul

Re: Maximisation problem

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:36:32 AM UTC+1, Peter Percival wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>

> > Let n be a fixed integer > 1. n logicians walk into a bar. The
>
> > barwoman says "Do all of you want a beer?" The first logician says
>
> > "I don't know." The second logician says "I don't know." ... The
>
> > n-1st logician says "I don't know." The nth logician says "Yes
>
> > please."
>

> That doesn't answer the question correctly.

Please could you state your objection? Everyone is narrowly focusing on the yes/no question: "Do all of the n logicians want a beer?" Everyone saying "I don't know" clearly wants a beer because, if they didn't want a beer, they would know that not everyone wants a beer and would answer "no" instead of "I don't know."
The nth logician follows the above reasoning and also wants to drink beer, so says "yes".

Where is the incorrectness?

Thank you,

Paul Epstein