Topic: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
Replies: 25   Last Post: Aug 2, 2013 5:36 PM

Tom Potter

Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??

"Jeff-Relf.Me" <@.> wrote in message

> 1931, Einstein ( "Cosmic religion: with other opinions and aphorisms" )
> wrote: ï¼oï¼o
>
> I see a clock, but I cannot envision the clockmaker.
>
> The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions,
> so how can it conceive of a God,
> before whom a thousand years and a thousand dimensions are as one ?
> ï¼zï¼z

Einstein was wrong again.

One of George Boole's daughters,
could visualize in four dimensions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alicia_Boole_Stott

"She found that there were exactly six regular polytopes in four dimensions
and that they are bounded by 5, 16 or 600 tetrahedra, 8 cubes, 24 octahedra
or 120 dodecahedra.

She then produced three-dimensional central cross-sections
of all the six regular polytopes

by purely Euclidean constructions and synthetic methods
for the simple reason that she had never learned any analytic geometry.
She made beautiful cardboard models of all these sections."

And of course,
if one considers time and three orthogonal spaces
as four dimensions, everyone can conceive of
volumes varying in time,
like dough rising, an explosion,
the construction of a structure, etc.

No doubt Alicia Boole Stott could visualize
four space dimensional objects varying over time,
as the time dimension came into play
as she made 3d models of the four dimensional objects.

--
Tom Potter

http://the-cloud-machine.tk
http://tiny.im/390k

Date Subject Author
7/28/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
Tom Potter
7/28/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions.
??
Sam Wormley
7/28/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
hanson
7/28/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions.
??
Sam Wormley
7/28/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
hanson
7/28/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
Hagar
7/28/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions.
??
Sam Wormley
7/29/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
hanson
7/29/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
Hagar
7/29/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
Tom Potter
7/29/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
hanson
7/29/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions.
??
4HEAD
7/30/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
hanson
7/30/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions.
??
4HEAD
7/30/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
hanson
7/31/13
[...]
Helmut Wabnig
7/31/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
Tom Potter
8/2/13
Read Re: The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions. ??
Brian Q. Hutchings