Topic: Distance Between Lines in R^3 (fwd)
Replies: 15   Last Post: Sep 13, 2013 1:25 PM

Re: Distance Between Lines in R^3 (fwd)

In article <kt4635$fis$1@news.albasani.net>,
Thomas Nordhaus <thnord2002@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Am 28.07.2013 23:01, schrieb Ken Pledger:
> > That's all. It's a traditional method in old text-books which aren't
> > read much any more, and it doesn't need any calculus.

> I think implicitly it does....

It needs the fact that the shortest path from a point to a line is
along the perpendicular. My geometry students prove that as a little
exercise using Euclid I.16 and 19 - definitely no calculus.

Ken Pledger.