The Math Forum

Topic: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Replies: 40   Last Post: Aug 2, 2013 5:27 PM

JT

Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius

Den tisdagen den 30:e juli 2013 kl. 12:27:56 UTC+2 skrev Peter Percival:
> jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Den tisdagen den 30:e juli 2013 kl. 11:58:10 UTC+2 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
>
> >> If you create a hexagon with the radius of one, and recursively double the number of vertices of the hexagon(have same radius as side length)
>

> >> I guess the sum of side lengths/radius close in on Pi infinitly, so i imagine that that they will indeed come closer as you double up the vertices recursively. But is there a digit there they won't be the same regardless the number of digits.
>

> >> Maybe this is a valid way to calculate Pi?
>

> With the correction, yes. Archimedes used it.
>

> > Side lengths/ diameter it should be... sorry
>

> --
>
> Nam Nguyen in sci.logic in the thread 'Q on incompleteness proof'
>
> on 16/07/2013 at 02:16: "there can be such a group where informally
>
> it's impossible to know the truth value of the abelian expression
>
> Axy[x + y = y + x]".

Am i correct assuming that using a hexagon is the prefered way with archimedes technique, and i set the radius to one. So 2*r*x=perimeter.

Date Subject Author
7/30/13
Read Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Peter Percival
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Richard Tobin
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Peter Percival
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
William Elliot
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Peter Percival
7/31/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
William Elliot
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/1/13
[...]
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
8/1/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Calculating Pi using polygon sides sum / radius
Virgil
8/2/13
Read ApiKindOnew
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/2/13
Read prove sixness of sphere volume vis-a-vu diameter
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/2/13