Topic: Remove text from file of numerics
Replies: 4   Last Post: Aug 1, 2013 2:30 PM

dpb

Re: Remove text from file of numerics

On 7/31/2013 4:37 AM, Phil Roberts wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following data within a text file:
>
> Cycle 1
> x y z
>
> Cycle 2
> x y z
>
> Cycle 3
> x y z
>
> How do I read in this data so I just have a matrix of 30 x 3 without the
> strings?

doc textscan

It'll read multiple calls from the same file and since it appears the
file is counted number of lines/cycle you can use 'headerline',2 once
then 3 thereafter (unless the blank line also begins the file, then it's
even simpler as there are 3 header lines for all cases). Repeat until
feof(fid)

You'll get a cell array unfortunately, but you can the cast it to a
matrix w/ cell2mat.

Other than that, just use fgetl() to read the headerlines and then
fscanf() to return the array data in a loop again until feof()