Topic: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Replies: 108   Last Post: Aug 16, 2013 5:22 PM

LudovicoVan

From: London
Registered: 2/8/08
Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?

<jonas.thornvall@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Den torsdagen den 1:e augusti 2013 kl. 00:51:42 UTC+2 skrev Julio Di
> Egidio:

>> <jonas.thornvall@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> > One question can fractions be expressed using
>> > other bases, and must they necessarly have
>> > ending nonerepeating pattern in base 10.

>> Yes and no.
>>
>> Given *any* integer base > 1 of representation, the fractional expansion
>> of
>> a rational number is *always* periodic (even when the period is just a
>> zero). The opposite for irrational numbers.
>>
>> I am not clear what happens with rational bases, though. For base n/m:
>>
>> fract(x) = Sum_{ i > 0 } [ x_i * (n/m)^(-i) ]
>>
>> and, in general, an m-th root is not rational...

> If that is your answer it seem to me like you say what is rational in one
> base
> is not necessarily a rational in another base.

My answer to your question ends before the "I am not clear" part. The rest
is my own late night ruminations.

> Who could have guessed.

You, of course.

Good night,

Julio

Date Subject Author
7/30/13
Read Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
7/30/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Virgil
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Virgil
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Tucsondrew@me.com
7/31/13
[...]
8/1/13
[...]
8/3/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
grei
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/4/13
Read the surfer's value (Nicholas de Cusa proved that pi was
transcendental in the 15th cue (http://21stcenturysciencetech.com
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/4/13
Read Re: the surfer's value (Nicholas de Cusa proved that pi was
transcendental in the 15th cue (http://21stcenturysciencetech.com
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Tucsondrew@me.com
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation? NO!
Virgil
8/1/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
8/1/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/1/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal
representation?
Peter Percival
8/1/13
[...]
Richard Tobin
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal
representation?
David Bernier
8/2/13
[...]
8/16/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Earle Jones
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
RGVickson@shaw.ca
8/2/13
[...]
quasi
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Virgil
8/2/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
8/16/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Earle Jones
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
JT
7/31/13
Read Re: Can a fraction have none noneending and nonerepeating decimal representation?
Phil H