Topic: Remove text from file of numerics
Replies: 4   Last Post: Aug 1, 2013 2:30 PM

Phil

Re: Remove text from file of numerics

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <ktbcad$qr0$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 7/31/2013 4:37 AM, Phil Roberts wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have the following data within a text file:
> >
> > Cycle 1
> > x y z
> >
> > Cycle 2
> > x y z
> >
> > Cycle 3
> > x y z
> >
> > How do I read in this data so I just have a matrix of 30 x 3 without the
> > strings?

> doc textscan
>
> It'll read multiple calls from the same file and since it appears the
> file is counted number of lines/cycle you can use 'headerline',2 once
> then 3 thereafter (unless the blank line also begins the file, then it's
> even simpler as there are 3 header lines for all cases). Repeat until
> feof(fid)
>
> You'll get a cell array unfortunately, but you can the cast it to a
> matrix w/ cell2mat.
>
> Other than that, just use fgetl() to read the headerlines and then
> fscanf() to return the array data in a loop again until feof()
>
> --

Hello,

I am still a little unsure what you mean. I have used textscan and only the first block of data comes through; hence the script stops before reading the other two blocks of data.

I have never used feof. Please can you help with some example code?

Many thanks,

Phil