Topic: powering is cube shaped
Replies: 2   Last Post: Aug 2, 2013 10:38 AM

kirby urner

Re: powering is cube shaped
att1.html (6.7 K)

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM, frank zubek <fzubek@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Kirby wrote;
> That's why she says "square root of 2 cubed" because the model of 3rd
> powering is cube shaped.
> - --------------------------------------------------------
> So sqr2 cubed = 2.828427125/1.060660172=3

I wouldn't say that. sqr2 "cubed" is sqr2 x sqr2 x sqr2.

Anything "cubed" is times itself once (2 x 2) then again (2 x 2) x 2.

The multiplication operator is applied twice.

Note that we have notions of powering in mathematics that are not
geometrically represented.

Permutations may be powered, hundreds of times, before they come back to their original selves. They go into orbit.

RSA works on this principle:

a) raise m (plaintext message) to some power e modulo N to get c
(ciphertext)

b) then raise c to power e * d mod N and you're pack to message m.

From OSCON last week, this picture, a slide from a talk on Discrete Math
from a sector of the economy that goes begging to fill its vacancies:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/9360962237/

Does your high school teach about RSA? If not, consider writing to
the governor of your state etc. etc.

They teach it at Phillips Academy (a good school). The software is free.
So what's the hold up? Every web browser uses it. Isn't "how things
work" important to high schools any more?

> So 2 cubed = 8 x .375 = 3

Not in my book. Not sure what you're smoking.

> So you use a constant to arrive at cube = 3
> I use a constant to also arrive at cube = 3

I use the fact that a unit volume tetrahedron is inscribed in a cube
three times its size.

How that tetrahedron got to be unit in the first place is what you're
missing.

You never learned you had an option in the 3rd grade or even the
6th grade, or even the 16th grade.

Do professors even know?

If they're competent doctors of philosophy they do, by which I don't
mean "Ph. D" (most of those are deeply specialized and can't be
expected to know).

Dr. Loeb knew. He was writing about this stuff in the 1960s.

> So 1.060660172/.375 = 2.828427125
>
> ALL THIS IS A NONSESE, a number shuffle.

For you it is, and coming from you it is, yes. You need to comprehend
before it makes sense.

> Tetrahedron is NOT cube shaped yet we using thir powering. vol. of a
> sphere is not cube shape yet we use r cubed times Pi/4

You don't have to be cube-shaped to represent a 3rd power.

Lets go back to the case of simple triangles:

Here's a picture of 4 x 4 (why would you say "four squared" looking at
this picture?):

http://wpc.puzzles.com/history/tests/2000wpc/images/triangles-1.gif

Count the number of triangles: 16. 4 x 4 = 16.

What's a picture of 3 x 3 x 3? Most people hold up a picture of a cube,
3 on each side.

But the 3-frequency tetrahedron made of four balls along each edge,
subdivides into an IVM, a scaffolding, of smaller tetrahedra and
octahedra. If you add up those volumes (no holes) you get 27.
Tetrahedron = 1. Octahedron = 4. Together, these fill all space.

That's starting with a tetrahedron of unit / 1.

http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/s09/figs/f9001.html

Same IDENTICAL cubes have SAME volumes period.

> frank

Says who? You? You forbid me to develop along this other branch
of mathematics? By what reasoning, if any?

How many Xs? XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX

Some say "15" but that's in base 10. Did we have to use base 10?
In Base 7, their number is "21".

When I multiply 3 x 3 x 3, I have a choice as to which language game
I want to work in. I've got the XYZ channel and the IVM channel.
In the former, I see a cube of volume 27, in the latter I see a
tetrahedron of volume 27.

Kirby