Topic: mex linking libraries on windows
Replies: 7   Last Post: Aug 6, 2013 9:39 AM

dpb

Re: mex linking libraries on windows

On 8/3/2013 9:21 AM, Phil Goddard wrote:
> On Windows, .lib files sometimes indicate a static library and other
> times a dynamic library so it's not really possible to tell just from
> the file extensions.
>
> In your case it sounds like the .lib you have is for dynamic linking of
> the .dll, so you need to check with the vendor of your library (or their
> documentation) to see if they have a version of the .lib file for static
> linking.

Probably what you mean, but what is written above sounds confusing to me---

I'd say the .lib he's linked to w/ the mex file has dependencies on the
distributed dll. I've not run across a .dll being called .lib or vice
versa (not to say it hasn't happened but ime it's surely not common).

Generally one is expected to distribute the dll w/ the app if that's the
way the vendor supplies it...if there isn't a full-function library
supplied, I think should be able to extract them w/ the librarian and
turn into a static lib??? (Been a long time since I've been forced to
do this and haven't done it at all on 64-bit system so this is supposition).