Topic: PUSHING children to learn math Vs. ENCOURAGING children to
learn math

Replies: 5   Last Post: Aug 7, 2013 3:20 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: PUSHING children to learn math Vs. ENCOURAGING children to learn math

Wayne Bishop posted Aug 7, 2013 9:53 PM:

> At 10:06 PM 8/6/2013, GS Chandy wrote:
>

> >And, in your opinion, PUSHING children to learn math
> is more
> >important than ENCOURAGING them to do that?
>
> Done well, they are inseparable. Nothing is more
> encouraging to
> learning more mathematics than is seeing some of the
> power of
> mathematics already learned.

My view is 'somewhat' (not entirely) different. As you observe, "ENCOURAGEMENT to learn" (math; other disciplines) and the "PUSH to learn" are closely intertwined.

In my view:

Should the learner be appropriately ENCOURAGED, he/she would then also (often) learn to PUSH him-/herself to overcome difficulties, barriers encountered and so on. This is basic human nature.

The PUSH has to come from within: it's absolutely essential.

Some ENCOURAGEMENT from outside is often most useful; sometimes, it could even be essential.

Both are closely inter-related.

As noted earlier, the PUSH (from inside) is essential.

But how to ensure that it is generated? Is it possible to develop a methodology for this purpose? Just how can we influence the learner to make the effort?

Through encouragement, that is obvious - but just how is that encouragement to be provided?

Just how is this 'ENCOURAGEMENT' (from outside) related to that 'PUSH' (from inside)? We need a 'language' to understand just how this may be accomplished.

In pure prose this is rather abstract and not at all easy to communicate about.

Claim: 'Prose + structural graphics' (p+sg) provides a useful extension of conventional prose to enable us to understand how this can be done, in practice on the ground.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy