The Math Forum

Topic: Combining Primes
Replies: 81   Last Post: Aug 19, 2013 1:12 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Combining Primes

On 11/08/2013 12:55 AM, William Elliot wrote:

>>> Yes, there is an effective procedure for finding the first or smallest prime
>>> greater than a given prime.

>> Perhaps I should have underlined "such" as well: " Where's
>> _such determination_ in this case of primes?". Iow, "determination"
>> is a _full blown function, spelled out in the language of arithmetic_ .
>>

> Most of your terms are undefined and subjective.

It's actually not: all it requests is you come up with a function
written in L(0,S,+,*,<), as I've done in the odd-number exapmple:

f''(m,n) df= m+n+1

There. Nothing is subjective!

>> Can you _formalize_ such a _function_ , as has been done for the cases
>> of even or odd numbers? (It doesn't matter how many lines you might use
>> to type, I'll try to parse that function definition).

> I gave you a well defined function spelled out using mathematical notation
> and in addition, there is an algorithm that will compute the function for
> every positive integer. I'll let you parse out the algorithm from the
> function I defined exclusively using mathematical notation.

You didn't give the function in the form:

h(m,n) df = xxx

where xxx is written in L(0,S,+,*,<), which is _expected_ .

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
8/10/13
Read Combining Primes