Topic: A finite set of all naturals
Replies: 32   Last Post: Aug 15, 2013 4:07 PM

namducnguyen

Re: A finite set of all naturals

On 12/08/2013 7:22 PM, Nam Nguyen wrote:
> On 12/08/2013 8:23 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> Peter Percival <peterxpercival@hotmail.com> writes:

> It actually doesn't mean that; "even1", "even1", "even" are what
> Shoenfield termed as "defined symbols": they are eliminated-able
> by the actual language symbols [of L(PA)]. So there's _nothing wrong_
> with those 3 definitions.

> Not "inclined" at all. In fact it was _deliberately_ on my part
> to define the even function (or the like) in this overly complex
> manner, _for a good reason_ : it highlighted the expression-duality
> of even numbers, in that they can be expressed _either_ inductively
> (Def-03a) or non-inductively (Def-03b).
>
> This inductive and non-inductive expression duality was used in other
> definitions (Def-07a and Def-07a, for "There are infinitely many
> examples of property P"), and plays a key role in my proof about
> certain structure theoretical truth-impossibility. The other posters
> (fom, e.g.) didn't recognize that but, to answer your question, it
> was _NOT_ an accidence the these kind of definitions were done
> that complex way.

More than once, I was asked what the difference between the Goldbach
Conjecture and its weaker form that an odd number greater than 7 is
the sum of three odd primes.

The point is though the essences of the 2 conjectures are drastically
different: _an odd number can not be defined without addition_ while
an even number can (as per Def-03b above).

And of course arithmetically, induction, from a binary operation point
of view, would not be possible without addition, designated as '+'.

It's the other non-inductive, if not anti-inductive, operation known
as multiplication that primes could be possibly defined arithmetically.
Of course.

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
8/12/13