Topic: A finite set of all naturals
Replies: 32   Last Post: Aug 15, 2013 4:07 PM

Ben Bacarisse

Re: A finite set of all naturals

Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca> writes:
<snip>
> [...]
<snip>

<snip>
> ... _an odd number can not be defined without addition_ while
> an even number can (as per Def-03b above).

odd(x) <-> ~Ey[x=2*y]

In what sense does your definition of even2 avoid addition, where this
one of odd does not?

Personally, I'd say that both this and Def-03b use addition since
multiplication in PA is usually defined using addition, but my
view of what "without addition" means is not the issue here.

<snip>
--
Ben.

Date Subject Author