Topic: Miserable Common Core scores reported.
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 14, 2013 10:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Miserable Common Core scores reported.

Responding to Jeff Silva-Brown's blog entry that Jerry Becker had posted at http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2586122 dt. Aug 13, 2013 3:38 AM:

Of course I know very little indeed about the specific institutions and the 'systems' (e.g., 'Common Core', 'NCLB', etc) which Mr Jeff Silva-Brown has discussed interestingly and quite amusingly at his blog - but I do know plenty about the 'kind of systems' he is complaining about: we in India suffer almost exactly the same afflictions!

- --You in the USA have educational systems that are failing you.
- -- We in India have educational systems that are failing us.

- -- You in the USA are doing little or nothing effective to fix those systems.
- --We in India are doing exactly likewise!!!

(There would be a whole lot of other 'parallels' between the problems faced in the USA and in India in regard to our respective educational systems).

Mr Silva-Brown writes:

> Teachers want to teach. They want to be
> passionate about kids, want to watch kids
> succeed, and want to see those teachers that
> aren't passionate get run through a wood chipper.

Given that, why aren't the teachers, the educational experts, the administrators (AND, very importantly the parents and their children) working together to 'fix the system'????

I observe that Mr Silva-Brown has drawn attention to a serious problem - but, as I understand, he has not suggested any means to tackle the problem, in practice on the ground. He has correctly suggested:

> Fix the social contract and you'll fix education.
> Fix that social contract and "test scores" will
> go up. Fix that social contract or you are in
> danger of losing a generation of really good
> teachers.

But he has not suggested just HOW to go about doing the above essential things. Thereby enabling people with destructive (and non-constructive) agendas to have their say, for example:

- -- "PUT THE EDUCATIONAL MAFIA IN JAIL!"

- -- "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!"

- -- "Children have to be PUSHED (not ENCOURAGED) to learn" (math, or anything else).

It would be so very simple to overcome all these damaging and destructive ideas: By "fixing the social contract" as Mr Silva-Brown has suggested - and THEREBY to 'fix the educational system'.

For simple, practical means that can help stakeholders in US education develop the needed 'framework' to tackle the problems identified very effectively within just a year or two, check out the attachments to my post heading the thread "Democracy: how to achieve it?" - http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy