Topic: A finite set of all naturals
Replies: 32   Last Post: Aug 15, 2013 4:07 PM

namducnguyen

Re: A finite set of all naturals

On 14/08/2013 12:53 AM, quasi wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>> quasi wrote:

>>> What reason?

>> Please see below.

>>> Is the above sentence supposed to be the reason why your proof
>>> method can't generalize from G_2 to G_4 or G_6?

>> Yes.
>>
>> As I've alluded to in my recent response to you, the conclusion
>> of GC_2 isn't of the same essence as those of GC_4 and GC_6.

> The conclusions are clearly not the same.
>
> After all, the numbers 2,4,6 are not the same.
>
> The question I asked was whether the proof technique you used
> to show that GC_2, if true, is not provable, would generalize
> to show the same for GC_4 or GC_6. The conclusions, while
> different, have some similarities, so it's not inconceivable
> that you could apply essentially the same reasoning for GC_4
> or GC_6 as you did for GC_2.
>

>> For instance,
>> (sum of 4 primes) can be written as (sum of 2 evens)

> Not really.
>
> Firstly, the statements of GC_2, GC_4, GC_6 do not require
> all of the primes to be odd.

You seem to have mislead me then with your clause "All sufficiently
large even numbers" in GC_2, GC_4, GC_6.

Without loss of generality, given GC_2, GC_4, GC_6, let's assume all
the underlying primes here are odd. Do you agree?

If you do agree, we'll continue further.

> Of course, for GC_2, the primes do have to be odd (except for
> the case 4 = 2+2), but for GC_4 or GC_6 there's nothing to
> prevent the prime 2 from being used (twice).
>
> But even if GC_4 and GC_6 were modified so as to be restricted
> to odd primes only, the statement
>
> All sufficiently large even numbers can be expressed
> as the sum of 4 primes.
>
> is not logically equivalent (unless GC_2 has been proved)
> to the trivially true statement
>
> All sufficiently large even numbers can be expressed
> as the sum of 2 even numbers.
>

>> where there's _no_ 'prime' being mentioned. On the other hand,
>> in sum of 2 primes), we can't get rid of 'prime' in the
>> expression,

> How would you rewrite GC_4, maintaining logical equivalence,
> without using the word 'prime'?
>

>> with the exception that (sum of 2 primes) is a sum of 1's but
>> that's true but indistinguishable from any sums (odd, even,
>> what have you).

> I have no idea what the above sentence means.
>
> quasi

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
8/12/13