Topic: fyi, making animation into PDF file from images genenerated by Mathematica
Replies: 6   Last Post: Aug 16, 2013 3:09 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: fyi, making animation into PDF file from images genenerated by Mathematica

I just tried this under Mac OS X (adjusting the Export statement accordingly, of course). And after importing the xd3 into MeshLab then exporting it as a u3d, when i run the LaTeX file in pdflatex, I get a totally blank page.

On Jun 6, 2013, at 11:18 PM, RBaillie <bobbaillie@frii.com> wrote:

> Nice!
>
> You can also create a pdf file with a 3D object that you can
> interactively rotate with your mouse.
>
> Here's how. First, create the Mathematica object:
>
> superSphere = ContourPlot3D[x^4 + y^4 + z^4 == 1,
> {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, {z, -1, 1}, Mesh->False];
> Export["C:\\junk\\supersphere.x3d", superSphere]
>
> Second, import the x3d file into the free software MeshLab, then
> export it as a u3d file.
>
> Third, use the media 9 LaTeX package to import the u3d file into pdf:
>
> \usepackage[english]{babel}
> \usepackage{media9}
>
> \includemedia[
> width=0.9\linewidth, height=0.9\linewidth,
> activate=pageopen,
> 3Dmenu,
> 3Daac=60.0, 3Droll=0.0, 3Dc2c=10.0 -3.0 10.0,
> 3Droo=3.0, 3Dcoo=0.0 0.0 0.0,
> 3Dlights=CAD, % display object without artificial colors
> %3Dlights=Primary, % colorize monochrome objects with R, G, B lights
> 3Drender=SolidWireframe
> ]{}
> {supersphere.u3d}
>
> Note: if the object looks inside out, you will have to go back into
> MeshLab and reverse the object's normals, then re-export it.

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.