The Math Forum

Topic: What is the antiderivative of 1/(2*sqrt(x)) ?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Aug 16, 2013 6:58 PM

Bill

Re: What is the antiderivative of 1/(2*sqrt(x)) ?

Virgil wrote:
> In article <earle.jones-86B16E.14350316082013@news.giganews.com>,
> Earle Jones <earle.jones@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> In article <284ef2c6-bf84-477e-b0c9-102889243f8f@googlegroups.com>,
>> G Patel <gaya.patel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> What is the antiderivative of 1/(2*sqrt(x)) ?
>>>
>>> Is it, sqrt(x) in its entirety, or sqrt(x), x>0 ?

> But sqrt(x) in its entirety has only one more point of definition,
> namely x = 0, than its restriction to x > 0, so why worry?

I would say you are slightly taking the wrong perspective.
All that is required is that an antiderivative be differentiable
on the domain of the first function, whatever that domain is.
The first function is not defined at x=0 so, unless you have some
supplementary conditions, you can extend it to x=0 or even the negative
numbers, however you wish.

Bill in IN