Topic: set builder notation
Replies: 12   Last Post: Aug 24, 2013 1:38 AM

Peter Percival

Re: set builder notation

lite.on.beta@gmail.com wrote:

> S = {x /in A | P(x) }
>
> For the set builder notation above, what we really means is:
>
> all things x, such that "x is element of A *and* P(x) is true" correct?

Yes.

> The vertical bar is essentially conjunction, correct?

I'm not sure it can always be read thus. Your set is also denoted

{x | x in A & P(x)}

"x and x in A and P(x)" doesn't make sense to me. Better read

{...|---}

as "the set of ... such that ---."

--
Sorrow in all lands, and grievous omens.
Great anger in the dragon of the hills,