Topic: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Replies: 58   Last Post: Aug 23, 2013 3:56 PM

Graham Cooper

Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?

On Friday, August 16, 2013 1:54:40 AM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote:
> Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication? I.e., is there a
>
> formula in the language of arithmetic
>

> x + y = z <-> ...
>

> such that in '...' any of the symbols of arithmetic except + may occur?
>
> Or, alternatively, is there a formula in the language of arithmetic
>

> x + y = ...
>

> with the same requirement?
>

> The symbols of arithmetic (for the purpose of this question) are either
>

> individual variables, (classical) logical constants including =,
>
> S, +, *, and punctuation marks;
>

> or the above with < as an additional binary predicate symbol.
>

> --
>
> Sorrow in all lands, and grievous omens.
>
> Great anger in the dragon of the hills,
>
> And silent now the earth's green oracles
>
> That will not speak again of innocence.
>
> David Sutton -- Geomancies

Let's cheat a little and use a multiplication table...

Let's call this ummm... 'M'

--------

1 X 1 = 1
1 X 2 = 2
1 X 3 = 3
..

2 X 1 = 2
2 X 2 = 4
2 X 3 = 6
..

M states which rules are to be used.

Can..

(x+1) X y = (z+y) <-> x X y = z

(x+2) X y = (z+2Xy) <-> x X y = z

cover all the bases?

Herc
--
www.tinyurl.com/How-Prolog-Works

Date Subject Author
8/16/13
Read Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
William Elliot
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
David C. Ullrich
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
namducnguyen
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
namducnguyen
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
fom
8/23/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
tommy1729_
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Robin Chapman
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Helmut Richter
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Rotwang
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Virgil
8/22/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Rock Brentwood
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Helmut Richter
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Jim Burns
[...]
8/18/13
[...]
David Bernier
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Ben Bacarisse
8/18/13
[...]
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Alan Smaill
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
fom
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Alan Smaill
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Alan Smaill
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/22/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
David Libert
8/22/13