Topic: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Replies: 58   Last Post: Aug 23, 2013 3:56 PM

Graham Cooper

Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?

On Sunday, August 18, 2013 3:17:34 AM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote:
> William Elliot wrote:

> >> Then I think the onus is on you to produced definitions in one or both of
>
> >> these forms:
>
> >> x + y = ...
>
> >> x + y = z <-> ...
>

> >> where the only non-logical symbols (baring punctuation) in the ... are from
>
> >> this set: {*,S,0} or this set: {*,S,0,<}. I wouldn't be surprised if + can be
>
> >> defined (in the way requested) from {*,S,0} or {*,S,0,<} but I would like
>
> >> either to see it spelt out, or to be given a reference.
>

> > As Jim Burns said
>
> > z = x + y iff 2^z = 2^x * 2^y
>

> > where 2^n is defined by induction 2^0 = 1, 2^1 = 1 and 2^(n+1) = 2*2^n
>
> > all of which can be done with Peano's axioms.
>

> And the magic formulae
>

> 2^x = ...
>

> 2^x = y <-> ...

First you need to define a power sequence..

instead of s(s(s(0)))

t(t(t(1))))

is 2^3

--------------

pot [t[t[t 1]]] ?

****** QUERY ******
1 pot
21 t
221 t
2221 t
2222 1
*******************

1 X (22:1) = t
2 X (22:21) = t
3 X (22:22) = 1
HEAD 1
pot [ t X ]
TAIL 1
pot X
pot [ t t 1 ]

****** QUERY ******
1 pot
21 t
221 t
222 1
*******************

4 X (22:1) = t
5 X (22:2) = 1
HEAD 1
pot [ t X ]
TAIL 1
pot X
pot [ t 1 ]

****** QUERY ******
1 pot
21 t
22 1
*******************

6 X (:) = 1
HEAD 1
pot [ t X ]
TAIL 1
pot X
pot [ 1 ]

****** QUERY ******
1 pot
2 1
*******************

HEAD 1
pot 1
MATCH
TRUE 1
MATCH
TRUE 1
MATCH
TRUE 1
MATCH

as opposed to 'addition based' arithmetic.

http://phpprolog.com/demo/pp7.png
http://phpprolog.com/demo/pp9.png
http://phpprolog.com/demo/pp1.png

Herc
--

www.phpPROLOG.com

Date Subject Author
8/16/13
Read Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
William Elliot
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
David C. Ullrich
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
namducnguyen
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
namducnguyen
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
fom
8/23/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
tommy1729_
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Robin Chapman
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Helmut Richter
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Rotwang
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Virgil
8/22/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Rock Brentwood
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Helmut Richter
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Jim Burns
[...]
8/18/13
[...]
David Bernier
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Ben Bacarisse
8/18/13
[...]
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Alan Smaill
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
fom
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Alan Smaill
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Alan Smaill
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/22/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
David Libert
8/22/13