Topic: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Replies: 58   Last Post: Aug 23, 2013 3:56 PM

David Bernier

Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?

On 08/17/2013 07:06 PM, grahamcooper7@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, August 16, 2013 1:54:40 AM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote:
>> Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication? I.e., is there a
>>
>> formula in the language of arithmetic
>>

>> x + y = z <-> ...
>>

>> such that in '...' any of the symbols of arithmetic except + may occur?
>>
>> Or, alternatively, is there a formula in the language of arithmetic
>>

>> x + y = ...
>>

>> with the same requirement?
>>

>> The symbols of arithmetic (for the purpose of this question) are either
>>

>> individual variables, (classical) logical constants including =,
>>
>> S, +, *, and punctuation marks;
>>

>> or the above with < as an additional binary predicate symbol.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Sorrow in all lands, and grievous omens.
>>
>> Great anger in the dragon of the hills,
>>
>> And silent now the earth's green oracles
>>
>> That will not speak again of innocence.
>>
>> David Sutton -- Geomancies

> Let's cheat a little and use a multiplication table...
>
> Let's call this ummm... 'M'

> --------
>
> 1 X 1 = 1
> 1 X 2 = 2
> 1 X 3 = 3
> ..
>
> 2 X 1 = 2
> 2 X 2 = 4
> 2 X 3 = 6
> ..
>

> M states which rules are to be used.
>

> Can..
>
> (x+1) X y = (z+y) <-> x X y = z
>
> (x+2) X y = (z+2Xy) <-> x X y = z

> cover all the bases?
>

> Herc

"Well, they?re ten digit numbers ... it?s a one time pad, but it has a
pseudorandom, prime number expansion system ..."

--
The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the
tortoise standing on?"

Date Subject Author
8/16/13
Read Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
William Elliot
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
David C. Ullrich
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
namducnguyen
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
namducnguyen
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
fom
8/23/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
tommy1729_
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Robin Chapman
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Helmut Richter
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Rotwang
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Virgil
8/22/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Rock Brentwood
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Helmut Richter
8/16/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Jim Burns
[...]
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
William Elliot
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
William Elliot
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
David C. Ullrich
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
David C. Ullrich
8/17/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
David Bernier
8/18/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Ben Bacarisse
8/18/13
[...]
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Alan Smaill
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
fom
8/19/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Alan Smaill
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Alan Smaill
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Peter Percival
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/20/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
Graham Cooper
8/22/13
Read Re: Can addition be defined in terms of multiplication?
David Libert
8/22/13