Topic: Is this the right group for math help?
Replies: 16   Last Post: Aug 19, 2013 1:00 AM

Bill

Re: Is this the right group for math help?

Paul wrote:
> On Saturday, August 17, 2013 2:47:56 AM UTC+1, Mark Rivet wrote:
>> I am attempting to finish my calculus training on my own. I am using a book called "quick calculus". It has been many years since I've had my calc I class. I will need some help as I go along and some of it may be with algebraic manipulations. Is this the right group to questions of this nature? I am doing this for my own personal edification.
> Like the rest on this thread, I would encourage you to ask questions here. I found the book you refer to on Amazon. I noticed that you say you are learning on your own, and your book is also marketed as a "self-teaching guide." However, I can't imagine any good calculus book that is _not_ also "a self-teaching guide". Every good calculus book will contain examples, motivation, explanations, exercises etc. and everything else you need to learn the material on your own.
>
> I recommend Calculus Made Easy, by Silvanus P. Thompson, which is free on the web.

I just took a look at the book online. It would be hard for me to
recommend a calculus book which does not use the phrase "chain rule"
(or other modern terminology). If it was so wonderful, it seems that
there might be more references to it. YMMV. Free does not always mean
worse. I like "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg which is also
freely available on the web. It is, of course, presented at a
significantly higher level.

Bill