Topic: BUSTED! Re: Myth-busting pentagons by compass & straight edge.
Replies: 9   Last Post: Aug 23, 2013 11:11 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: BUSTED! Re: Myth-busting pentagons by compass & straight edge.

The "myth" has always been in your brain not in the mathematics. In
6th grade it was obvious to me that constructing a regular hexagon
with a compass was a triviality (and understood the trivial
underlying mathematics) but had already observed that, if I really
wanted a regular hexagon, not a cute construction were the final arc
never hits the starting point, I should use a protractor. It's the
proof that matters and, even more so, that the regular septagon can
NOT be so constructed, not some Easter Bunny in your head. Why
persist in embarrassing yourself?

Wayne