Topic: Please remove my email address
Replies: 4   Last Post: Aug 22, 2013 9:00 AM

r!chard tchen

Re: Please remove my email address

Dianna:

Within hours of your posting this request, I went ahead and administratively unsubscribed your address from our mailing list, as the note below confirms:

> Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 00:36:33 -0400
> From: majordomo@mathforum.org
> --
> No action is required on your part.

All:

Please accept our apologies for the unsolicited commercial mail.

I reached out individually to each of you who had written the discussion administrators directly, by clicking the "Contact Us" link to the left of the web archive; you have already received the outline that follows. But as the timestamp above suggests ...

From the get-go, the Math Forum manually deleted the junk messages as well as the logins of the offending posters -- part of routine sweeps that we perform several times every day. Unfortunately, as you experienced, the unsolicited web postings only increased overnight into Sunday morning; and for reasons we may never fathom, the spammers latched onto this discussion (first). So yesterday morning, we converted the discretemath mailing list (and others) into fully moderated discussions; and further began blocking requests from the networks propagating the spam -- a measure we have since escalated to dynamic and continuous IP filtering.

And yes, Mark, we also plan to update our CAPTCHA library to raise the bar for new registrants!

Having said all that: the Forum's web interface has always allowed you to "watch" discussions at a level of granularity of your choosing. Located in the left margin of any Forum discussion page next to the small icon of a pair of binoculars after you log in, "watches" track updates to categories of discussions, specific discussions such as discretemath, given threads within a discussion, or individual discussants. They stay organized in your online profile, in the style of bookmarks, for you to click through at your convenience; and you may receive e-mail notifications of your watches, as well.

We're very happy to help anyone with their Math Forum watches, logins, mail subscriptions and unsubscriptions, RSS feeds, general concerns, suggestions, and beyond. Please just drop us a line using the "Contact Us" link.

Thanks to everyone for your patience,

Richard Tchen

The Math Forum @ Drexel
3210 Cherry Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2713

tel1: (215)895-1787
tel2: (800)756-7823
facs: (215)895-2964

The Math Forum @ Drexel (http://mathforum.org/)
is a research and educational enterprise of
The Drexel University School of Education (http://goodwin.drexel.edu/soe/).