Topic: Foundations of mathematics... the order of bootstrapping the foundations
Replies: 13   Last Post: Aug 21, 2013 9:04 PM

Tucsondrew@me.com

Re: Foundations of mathematics... the order of bootstrapping the foundations

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:13:02 PM UTC-7, William Elliot wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, Lax Clarke wrote:
>

> > Please correct me if I'm wrong please:
>
> > This is the order of bootstrapping the foundations of mathematics:
>

> Boot strapping has nothing to do with mathematics.
>
> It's part of computer science.
>

> > 1) Naive logic (like the ones the Greeks played with).
>
> > 2) Use 1) to talk about Naive Set theory (like Halmos' book).
>
> > 3) Use 2) above to define Mathematical Logic / First-Order Logic
>
> > 4) Use 3) above to define axiomatic set theory.
>

> A metalanguage is used to dacribe a formal language.

But doesn't the metalanguage follows rules of logic when describing
the formal language?

ZG