Topic: Foundations of mathematics... the order of bootstrapping the foundations
Replies: 13   Last Post: Aug 21, 2013 9:04 PM

Peter Percival

Re: Foundations of mathematics... the order of bootstrapping the
foundations

Lax Clarke wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm wrong please:
>
> This is the order of bootstrapping the foundations of mathematics:
>
> 1) Naive logic (like the ones the Greeks played with).

The Greeks had no theory of n-ary relations, did they? Not even n=2 iirc.

Was it Boole or De Morgan or one of those fellows who pointed out that
the valid inference

A horse is animal
Therefore the head of a horse is the head of an animal

cannot be handled by Greek logic?

> 2) Use 1) to talk about Naive Set theory (like Halmos' book).
> 3) Use 2) above to define Mathematical Logic / First-Order Logic
> 4) Use 3) above to define axiomatic set theory.

One might begin by asking if mathematics has a foundation, or if it
needs one.

--
Sorrow in all lands, and grievous omens.
Great anger in the dragon of the hills,