Topic: Foundations of mathematics... the order of bootstrapping the foundations
Replies: 13   Last Post: Aug 21, 2013 9:04 PM

Peter Percival

Re: Foundations of mathematics... the order of bootstrapping the
foundations

William Elliot wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, Lax Clarke wrote:
>

>> Please correct me if I'm wrong please:
>> This is the order of bootstrapping the foundations of mathematics:
>>

> Boot strapping has nothing to do with mathematics.
> It's part of computer science.

Bootstrapping is a metaphor which is surely common property. In year X
some wit spoke of lifting himself by his own bootstraps. It's a fair
bet that X long preceded the computer (computer as machine not computer
as human calculator).

Didn't Baron Münchhausen lift himself _and_ his horse out of a bog by
his own hair?

--
Sorrow in all lands, and grievous omens.
Great anger in the dragon of the hills,