Topic: BUSTED! Re: Myth-busting pentagons by compass & straight edge.
Replies: 9   Last Post: Aug 23, 2013 11:11 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: BUSTED! Re: Myth-busting pentagons by compass & straight edge.

I'll offer the same well-supported advice to you; please stop
embarrassing yourself. You, along with Jonathan I assume, are using
a modern well-machined compass that actually locks. Mine was always
the cheapee back-to-school variety that modifies its radius along the
way. But mine was far better than the collapsible compass of the
ancient Greeks maybe drawn the sand. Your well machined compass that
locks precisely on a radius but then collapses works very well for
the regular 3-gon and 6-gon and it's a little tricky for a 4-gon but
try it for a 12-gon and then we'll talk. Much easier, in a sense, is
draw yourself a line segment, locate a point on another line
somewhere, and copy the line segment on the line at the point (either
direction, I don't care) using your very precise, well-machined
collapsible compass.

Wayne