Topic: BUSTED! Re: Myth-busting pentagons by compass & straight edge.
Replies: 9   Last Post: Aug 23, 2013 11:11 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: BUSTED! Re: Myth-busting pentagons by compass & straight edge.

Wayne Bishop posted Aug 21, 2013 9:50 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9229451) (GSC's remarks follow):

> I'll offer the same well-supported advice to you;
> please stop
> embarrassing yourself. You, along with Jonathan I
> assume, are using
> a modern well-machined compass that actually locks.
> Mine was always
> the cheapee back-to-school variety that modifies its
> radius along the
> way. But mine was far better than the collapsible
> compass of the
> ancient Greeks maybe drawn the sand. Your well
> machined compass that
> locks precisely on a radius but then collapses works
> very well for
> the regular 3-gon and 6-gon and it's a little tricky
> for a 4-gon but
> try it for a 12-gon and then we'll talk. Much
> easier, in a sense, is
> draw yourself a line segment, locate a point on
> another line
> somewhere, and copy the line segment on the line at
> the point (either
> direction, I don't care) using your very precise,
> well-machined
> collapsible compass.
>
> Wayne

Thank you for your 'wise' advice, Professor Bishop.

I don't know about Jonathan Crabtree, but I shall treat your undoubtedly sage advice with all the respect it surely must deserve - whether with regard to the "Well Machined Collapsible Compass" that you've presumed or with with regard to just a piece of twine with a pin attached one end and a pencil the other.

Why do you wish to talk only after I've tried a 12-gon or whatever-gon? We need your wisdom right now, as we have failed with the 5-gon! Will you show me how I may do it right? I had always thought that your skills and interests ran mainly in the direction of "blowing up things", not in talk.

Which reminds me, how goes it with that other project of yours, based on your (or Reid Lyon's) famous slogan? Any signs of success yet? Have you managed to blow up any schools of education lately? Or have you been talking about doing it?

With my fondest good wishes to you in all your explosive endeavors,

GSC
(Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy