Topic: Most Americans Unaware of Common Core
Replies: 7   Last Post: Aug 23, 2013 9:57 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Most Americans Unaware of Common Core

Robert Hansen posted Aug 22, 2013 9:23 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9230087):

> On Aug 21, 2013, at 8:32 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >> Two out of three US citizens have never heard
> about Common Core State Standards (CCSS). Out of
> those who have, fewer than half believe the new, more
> rigorous academic goals in English/language arts and
> mathematics adopted by all but four states so far
> will make the United States more competitive in the
> world.
>
> 1. Two out of three US citizens fail algebra
> (actually, it is higher than that).
>
> 2. That should address everything else you said
> regarding "stakeholders".
>
> Bob Hansen

I had earlier responded to this on dt. Aug 23, 2013 1:17 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9230340).

On examining that response, I believe that what at least some US citizens do seriously need is some exposure to what may be termed 'common sense'.

As to whether such mere 'exposure' may serve to inculcate needed common sense in anyone, I do not know.

The OPMS process, which I recommend for problem solving in general, is based on the 'systematic application' of common sense; i.e., 'common sense' is taken to be a prerequisite. I really do not know if the OPMS would work for those devoid of this characteristic.

GSC
("Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!")