Topic: A finite set of all naturals
Replies: 43   Last Post: Aug 25, 2013 4:38 PM

Peter Percival

Re: A finite set of all naturals

Nam Nguyen wrote:
> On 23/08/2013 8:55 AM, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
>> In <ghae19tt5it7c9phdr64quip03q2dmdl29@4ax.com>, on 08/23/2013
>> at 04:40 AM, quasi <quasi@null.set> said:
>>

>>> With Nam's new definition of positive/negative, I think
>>> it's immediately provable (subject to some clarification as to what
>>> a formula is) that odd(x) is a negative formula.

>>> Let even(x) <-> Ey(x=2*y).
>>
>> Let odd(x) <-> Ey(S(x=2*y)).
>>

>>> Assuming Nam's definition of "formula" supports the claim that
>>> even(x) is a positive formula, then odd(x) must be a negative
>>> formula since odd(x) is equivalent to ~even(x).

>> However, even(x) is equivalent to ~odd(x), so even(x) must be a
>> negative formula.
>>
>> You can exclude S, but then you're no longer talking about the natural
>> numbers.

> You seem to be confused on the issue, which is that _in the natural_
> _numbers_ while even(x) can be positively expressed _with only_ '*'
> can the same be said of odd(x)?
>
> The correct answer is "NO".
>
> What is _your answer_ to this question?

What do you take the natural numbers to be? Are you defining them or
are you using the usual informal definition?

--
Sorrow in all lands, and grievous omens.
Great anger in the dragon of the hills,

Date Subject Author
8/22/13
Read Re: A finite set of all naturals
[...]