Topic: A finite set of all naturals
Replies: 43   Last Post: Aug 25, 2013 4:38 PM

namducnguyen

Re: A finite set of all naturals

On 23/08/2013 1:42 PM, Peter Percival wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>> On 23/08/2013 8:55 AM, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:

>>> Let odd(x) <-> Ey(S(x=2*y)).

>>> However, even(x) is equivalent to ~odd(x), so even(x) must be a
>>> negative formula.
>>>
>>> You can exclude S, but then you're no longer talking about the natural
>>> numbers.

>> You seem to be confused on the issue, which is that _in the natural_
>> _numbers_ while even(x) can be positively expressed _with only_ '*'
>> can the same be said of odd(x)?
>>
>> The correct answer is "NO".
>>
>> What is _your answer_ to this question?

> What do you take the natural numbers to be? Are you defining them or
> are you using the usual informal definition?

What is your answer to this question of mine above?

Anything else is _irrelevant_ .

If you or Ben couldn't give me _a straightforward Yes or No answer_
on this question, let's forget about anything else.

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
8/22/13
Read Re: A finite set of all naturals
[...]