Topic: Log Sense
Replies: 29   Last Post: Aug 27, 2013 2:55 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Log Sense

This is not rat-sense or log-sense. Order of magnitude just works, it is very concrete, it is convenient, it is syntactical and is easily shared.

Again, if this was truly related to logarithms then why do students suck at them (logarithms) when they get to algebra? They are good at other things and don't all of sudden suck at them later on. Which brings to mind, instead of fantasizing about a sense that children do not have, fix the real problem instead. Teach students logarithms in algebra.

I am positive that the reason these "Chariots of the Gods" fantasies see the light of day isn't that the have a modicum of truth. The last 50 years are full of failed attempts to pre-charge students up for algebra. The reason is simply that these fantasies are more salable than saying the truth which is "There is no secret."

This goes under the chapter "Ants doing Trig"

Bob Hansen