Topic: A finite set of all naturals
Replies: 43   Last Post: Aug 25, 2013 4:38 PM

namducnguyen

Re: A finite set of all naturals

On 24/08/2013 9:47 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> Nam Nguyen <namducnguyen@shaw.ca> writes:
> <snip>

>> Do you speak for everyone (some of whom might be at professor level)
>> who might read the conversations here?

> Why the reverence for status? What is the significance to you of people
> who are at "professor level"? I have been blown away by the shear
> mental power of some professors (John Conway springs to mind) and been
> left completely unimpressed by others. It's not an infallible stamp of
> authority.

You seem to have misunderstood my intention: I've never reasoned
_solely_ based on the status.

It's that Peter's argument is based on his _speaking for others_ who
might be at professor status, meaning they're most likely know
more about certain observed conversation than Peter himself.

Apparently to Peter speaking for people (who might be in better
technical position than he) is simply just a joke, amusing to him.

Usually speaking-for-others arguments are weak, to say the least.

NYOGEN SENZAKI

Date Subject Author
8/22/13
Read Re: A finite set of all naturals
[...]