The Math Forum

Topic: difference between a vector and a point (in R^n)
Replies: 12   Last Post: Sep 2, 2013 7:41 PM

Bill

Re: difference between a vector and a point (in R^n)

lite.on.beta@gmail.com wrote:
> What is the difference between a vector and a point?
> Why are there two concepts?
>
> Wessel described complex numbers as "vectors" in some space like R^2.
> Argand described complex numbers are "points" in some space like R^2.
>
> What's the difference?
>
> What's wrong with me saying "a vector is a point, and a point is a vector" ?

If your universe is a vector space you can say it all you like.
But there are perfectly good metric spaces consisting of a set of points
that are not vectors. For example, the set [0,1], with the metric it
inherits from either R or R^2.

Bill in IN