Topic: Capture function input and determine input variable type
Replies: 3   Last Post: Aug 28, 2013 10:09 AM

Steven Lord

Re: Capture function input and determine input variable type

"Angelia " <tianqiuhua@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I want my function myFun (num, string) to allow user to input either
> argument num or string (or both). After using nargin to determine the
> number of input, how do I capture the input and determine whether it's a
> number or a string?

So you want the signature of your function to be:

function y = myFun(x)

and you only want to allow x to be a number or a string? Or are you trying
to make the signature:

function y = myFun(in1, in2)

and accept myFun being called in any of these three ways:

myFun(1)
myFun('2')
myFun(3, '4')
myFun('5', 6)

Are these also allowed?

myFun()
myFun(7, 8)
myFun('9', '0')

You'll want to use CLASS and/or ISA to check the classes of the input data
types. CLASS lets you be very specific (I want to accept double precision
values but not single precision values or instances of a subclass of the
double class, for example) while ISA has some flexibility (I don't care what
type it is, as long as it's 'numeric' and I can use it as a number later in
my code.)

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com