Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » Education » math-teach

Topic: Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 27, 2013 1:03 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Robert Hansen

Posts: 7,715
From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: To K-12 teachers here: Another enjoyable post from Dan Meyer
Posted: Aug 27, 2013 1:03 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply
att1.html (4.8 K)


On Aug 27, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Richard Strausz <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:

> Let's talk specifics. Here is the most recent post from Meyer.
>
> http://blog.mrmeyer.com/?p=17153
>
> Please share briefly what you like and what you don't about the pedagogy. It does seem to fit nicely into Algebra.


There is no algebra here Richard. And the original text isn't any better. I don't like anything about this particular example.

To fix this lesson into an algebra lesson one would have to determine analytically what the area is of the circle the pennies occupy and what is left over. They would have to determine the diameters of circles that circumscribe pennies arranged in groups of 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. I am not asking for a general exact solution of "n" pennies, but I am asking for exact solutions of specific cases. And we would explore a little with pennies and a compass. It is very important to get the spatial model right. But then it becomes geometry and expressions. Is what I am suggesting too advanced? Maybe for an average class, but then again, that is why I really dislike this example of a problem. You don't use problems like this in an algebra class if the algebra of the problem completely escapes the classes ability. And avoiding the algebra altogether as Dan (and the book) does it not a solution.

Algebra is not about predicting and measuring. It is about symbolic reasoning, period. These "busy work" examples are no substitute for building symbolic reasoning. I am open to an amount of operational stuff in the class. But not to the point where there isn't any symbolic reasoning left. I think my rule of thumb where 25% of the class can be operational while the other 75% should be symbolic reasoning is a pretty fair and decent standard.

Bob Hansen




Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.