> > On Aug 27, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Richard Strausz > <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote: > > > Let's talk specifics. Here is the most recent post > from Meyer. > > > > http://blog.mrmeyer.com/?p=17153 > > > > Please share briefly what you like and what you > don't about the pedagogy. It does seem to fit nicely > into Algebra. > > There is no algebra here Richard. And the original > text isn't any better. I don't like anything about > this particular example. > > To fix this lesson into an algebra lesson one would > have to determine analytically what the area is of > the circle the pennies occupy and what is left over. > They would have to determine the diameters of circles > that circumscribe pennies arranged in groups of 1, 2, > 3, 4, etc. I am not asking for a general exact > solution of "n" pennies, but I am asking for exact > solutions of specific cases. And we would explore a > little with pennies and a compass. It is very > important to get the spatial model right. But then it > becomes geometry and expressions. Is what I am > suggesting too advanced? Maybe for an average class, > but then again, that is why I really dislike this > example of a problem. You don't use problems like > this in an algebra class if the algebra of the > problem completely escapes the classes ability. And > avoiding the algebra altogether as Dan (and the book) > does it not a solution. > > Algebra is not about predicting and measuring. It is > about symbolic reasoning, period. These "busy work" > examples are no substitute for building symbolic > reasoning. I am open to an amount of operational > stuff in the class. But not to the point where there > isn't any symbolic reasoning left. I think my rule of > thumb where 25% of the class can be operational while > the other 75% should be symbolic reasoning is a > pretty fair and decent standard. > > Bob Hansen > So far, there are two 'voters'. I say that an exercise which helps students answer the question 'How can you fit a quadratic function to a set of data?' broadens the usual scope of an algebra class in a positive way. You vote 'No'.
I do wish that more classroom teachers would post to Math Teach. I'd love to hear their thoughts, too.