Topic: x-axis has too many tick lables
Replies: 5   Last Post: Aug 29, 2013 9:38 AM

Larry Rose

Re: x-axis has too many tick lables

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kvlri4$cdj$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 8/28/2013 3:37 PM, Larry Rose wrote:
> > dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kvlh1g$enf$1@speranza.aioe.org>...

> >> Not specifically a command, no...use the 'xtick' and/or 'xticklabel'
> >> properties to set the number/values.
> >>
> >> To cut them in half, for example,
> >>
> >> xt=get(gca,'xtick'); % get the current ones
> >> xt(1:2:end)=[]; % wipe out every other one
> >> set(gca,'xtick',xt) % and replace w/ updated
> >>
> >> Innumerable variations upon a theme are possible, of course...
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > Thanks to both of you guys, yes I see this logic should work , but when
> > I actually chart the item is using the middle date for the end date of
> > the x axis?
> >
> > I used your guys command below:
> > xt=get(gca,'xtick'); % get the current ones
> > xt(1:2:end)=[]; % wipe out every other one
> > set(gca,'xtick',xt) % and replace w/ updated
> >
> > it does cut down on the amount of tick labels, but it is only charting
> > up to the middle tickmark and treating that as the end point.
> > not sure why
> >

> Works here...show code that doesn't...
>

> >> xt=get(gca,'xtick')
> xt =
> 0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0

> >> xt(2:2:end)=[]
> xt =
> 0 0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8 1.0000

> >> set(gca,'xtick',xt)
>
> I get ticks a the above locations from left to right axis.
>
> Oh, I notice you mention 'date' -- you haven't done something like
> 'keepticks' with datetick() perchance? That likely would screw up the
> above ploy...
>
> --

Hey ,
yes ok, I had to move one of my commands to below the code you guys gave me.

This had to be moved : dateaxis('x',2)

Funny thing is since moving this command lower the original issue I had went away and now the dates fit on the screen. This is great. Thanks.

larry