Topic: Will Richardson Why Schools and Algebra 1
Replies: 17   Last Post: Sep 2, 2013 4:59 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Will Richardson Why Schools and Algebra 1

Yes, first work on learning the difference between advise and advice
and then look up some programs on practicing arithmetic through
ordinary fractions and percent that is the most important part of
algebra readiness. There are probably sources of straightforward
"word problems" (not the reform-minded off-the-wall idiocy) that are
doable without algebra (but easier with) such as those that fill the
wonderful little Singapore Primary Series K-6 mathematics
books. Then put away the "mobile technology", make your students do
the same, and teach mathematics. Algebra without algebra readiness
is only for true geniuses, the kind most of us never meet. Hope that helps,

Wayne