Topic: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Replies: 32   Last Post: Sep 9, 2013 4:45 PM

Tanu R.

Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:30:23 -0700 (PDT), lite.on.beta@gmail.com wrote:

> I remember in grade school (grade 8 or 9ish) we did geometry with vectors as a tool but without any coordinate system.
>
> We often picked a random point and called it O, then proved things like if M was midpoint between two points A, B, then:
>
> OM = 1/2 * (OA + OB)
>
> A lot of stuff was proven with just points and vectors from points to other points (with the fact OX = -XO used heavily).
>
> What's the name of this geometry? I'm thinking of looking this stuff up again.

They called it be topology...

Date Subject Author
8/30/13
Read What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Tanu R.
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
William Elliot
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Peter Percival
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/4/13
[...]
JT
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/9/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Narasimham